This post contains everything about Orlando Guardians, including their history, staff, coaches, players, and market summary.
- Originally known as New York Guardians.
- Team colors include Green, Lime and Grey.
- Head Coach and Assistant Head Coach are Terrell Buckley and Lamar Thomas, respectively.
The Orlando Guardians are a professional American football team that was initially called ‘New York Guardians’.
They are based in Orlando, Florida. It was founded by Alpha entertainment which was run by Vince McMahon.
Currently, the team is owned and controlled by RedBird Capital Partners, Alpha Acquico, LLC which is run by Dwayne Johnson and Dany Garcia.
Orlando Guardians is also a member of the Exclusive Football League (XFL).
Between 2018 and 2020, they played their home games at MetLife Stadium.
Since 2022 they have been playing their home games in Camping World Stadium.
History – Orlando Guardians
In 2018, New York became one of Exclusive Football League (XFL) inaugural cities with the creation of a new football team by Alpha Entertainments.
Months later, Kevin Gilbride was announced as the first head coach of the team on April 15, 2019.
The team name was announced as ‘New York Guardians’ on August 21, 2019 along with the logo.
December 3 of the same year the team uniform was revealed with Green, Lime and Grey being the official team colors.
On December 15, 2019 Matt McGloin, a one time Oakland Raiders player was signed by New York Guardians as the first player of the team.
Matt McGloin played Quarterback and he went on to score the first touchdown in team history on their first possession.
The first game that the New York Guardians won was against the Tampa Bay Vipers at MetLife Stadium. The score was 23-3.
Their first away match was against the DC Defenders at Audi Field. New York Guardians lost to DC Defenders by 27-0.
March 12, 2020, The Exclusive Football League (XFL) canceled the rest of the 2020 XFL season because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
On April 10, 2020, The XFL suspended operations and The New York Guardians finished with a 3-2 record.
Before the beginning of a new Exclusive Football League (XFL) season, the New York Guardians relocated to Orlando.
As at 2018, when XFL chose its 8 inaugural teams, Orlando was not available because the Alliance of American Football placed the Orlando Apollos there.
On April 6, 2022 Terrell Buckley became the head coach of Orlando Guardians.
Orlando Guardians’ Staff
Some of the people that make up the Orlando Guardians staff office includes:
- General manager – Terrell Buckley
- Director of team operations – Patrick Austin
- Director of player personnel – Larry Lee
- Quality Control – Chris Stamps
- Athletic trainer – Rachel Sharpe • Equipment manager – Bobby Monica
- Video manager – Ben Lawson
- Head coach – Terrell Buckley
- Asst. Head Coach/Special Teams/Wide Receivers – Lamar Thomas
- Defensive coordinator/Cornerbacks – Tony Carter
- Defensive Line/Linebackers – Mark Snyder
- Defensive Backs – Devin Bush Sr.
- Safeties – Ronnie Lee
- Offensive coordinator/Running backs – Robert Ford
- Quarterbacks – Shane Matthews
- Tight Ends – Brett Johnson
- Offensive Line – Keith Wagner
Orlando Guardians has over 90 players. Some of their notable players includes Matt McGloin, Eli Roger, Paxton Lynch, Cody Latimer and Matt Elam.
About three of their players play at the National Football League (NFL) Teams.
Their names and NFL teams are-
- Scott Daly plays for Detroit Lions
- Charleston Rambo plays for Philadelphia Eagles
- Jordan Thomas plays for Caroline Panthers
Orlando Guardians have won, lost and equalized so many games against rival teams.
Some of their rivalries include Los Angeles Wildcats, DC Defenders, Vegas Vipers, Arlington Renegades and San Antonio Brahmas.
Orlando Guardians lost by 0-2 in their matches against Houston Roughnecks, San Antonio Brahmas and St. Louis Battlehawks.
There was a tie of 1-1 in their games against DC Defenders and Vegas Vipers.
They won 1-0 against Los Angeles Wildcats and lost 1-2 against Arlington Renegades and 0-1 against Seattle Sea Dragons.
Orlando Guardians is the second professional outdoor football team in Orlando with Orlando Apollos being the first.
Before The Guardians went to Orlando, some professional sports teams based in Orlando were already in existence.
Some of the other sports teams include the Orlando Magic, Orlando Solar Bears, Orlando City SC, and the Orlando Pride.
Kindly share this post on various social media platforms.